Monday, August 1, 2011

Being Lazy creates mistakes.

So quick do I have a story to share with everyone about how I made a HUGE mistake out of laziness.

Here it is on Monday morning where I have a day off and none of my corpmates are online. It is NOT primetime for me. However, it IS primetime for the local pirates in Passari, the Carebear Stare. Normally, we outnumber them substantially during our timezones but during the day it is a differant story. There were a few of them running around but then it got pretty quiet, so I decided to get my 103k of Planetary Interaction (PI) out and back to Litiura. " So lets take a peek into my thought process. "Hmm, what to use? Well, thats too much for a Bustard and too little to justify my Charon, so lets use the Rhea! Bah I don't want to jump it in then I have to wait ten minutes on the cyno ship and it will probably get popped in that time from one of the carebear stare guys. I'll just sneak it in the regular gate. Being the prepared person I am. I will have Cloora in her Falcon and Karok in his Pilgrim cloaked nearby on standby in case a lone ship gets in before I can get it out. plus i am checking directional. I will also park my other alt in his Drake on the gate to scare off anyone." That was my first mistake. The Drake got the attention of a Tengu I picked up on d-scan. The Rhea is now on its way to the Passari gate in Litiura and I am making the decision to bring it in. With the falcon nearby I am cocky and decide if the Tengu does land I can jam it and get the Rhea out no problem.

As I jump in MasterAdam lands zero on the gate in his Tengu. Ok I'm not panicing yet. I start to warp the Rhea and immediatly move to the Falcon and decloak it and then warp Karok to Milonia at zero to apply webs. My sensor recalibration is now over and I lock the Tengu but he locks the Rhea first and points it. So I concentrate on jamming him first with Cloora. The Falcon is equipped with my standard two Caldari, two Minmitar, one Amarr and one Gallente jammer. First racial jammer fails but the second hits. Just in case I unload all the off racial jammers to keep him jammed hopefully. During this part I forgot I have to re-initiate warp with the Rhea. I move my Pilgrim and Drake onto the Tengu to maybe score a kill. I am now getting greedy. The Rhea has been sitting for 20 to 30 seconds when a Nyx warps in on me. AdamYawl must have been cloaked at the Stare POS. I didn't even know he had a Nyx. *sigh* ok now my asshole is puckering.

I ask for a ransom (yeah right) and he responds, "Hell no." I don't blame him I'd rather have the kill too. Ok so now I go into overdrive. I have to get the Rhea out somehow.

I know I can keep the Tengu jammed. I lose jams on it everyone once in awhile but my max skilled Falcon pilot is keeping him mostly jammed. I now start to realize that the Nyx is too close to the Rhea and might have a point on it as well. I can't burn out of range I'm in a Jump Freighter! I'm 9k from the gate maybe I can make it back to the gate! It is my only chance. The Nyx has deployed its Fighters and I see a glimmer of hope. "Fighters? Why not Fighter bombers I'm sure they would hit my Rhea just fine." For whatever reason he is using normal fighters I am thankful for and start back to the gate at 87 meters per second. My shields are gone in seconds and my armor is close behind. I am now in the Rhea's massive structure hit points. It is going fairly slow. I might actually make it!

As I inch back to the gate the Tengu comes back. Also a nuetral (I think) Proteus lands as well. Ok if he webs me I'm done. My structure is going down at the same rate I am getting to the required 2500 meters needed to initiate the jump, so if I go any slower I won't make it. No webs come but missiles from the Tengu does. I already warped all my other ships out at this point so the Rhea is all alone. I am now less then 25% structure and I am at 4500 meters. I am watching every second that 87 meters ticks off and mentally preparing myself for a 4 billion ISK loss. "I am at peace, I am ok with the loss now. I barely use the damn thing anyway right?"

10% structure 3000 meters

5% structure 2600 meters

<5% structure 2400 meters (I am already spamming jump)

BLOOP! I jumped back to the relative safety of 0.5 space.

After conversing with Adam, he said he was going for the Drake, the Rhea was an unexpected surprise. I get back to station and find that I need 66 million ISK to repair everything. I remote rep the armor and there is still 55 million ISK of structure left. I can't put any modules on this damn thing to rep the structure so now all my characters are training Remote Structure reps to level 3 right now because I am cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment